This is a list of some of the pubs in London that regularly have Drag Acts. Information of out of London pubs featuring drag will be added to this list as we receive it. So if your local has something good happening at it, let us know; and that goes for you landlords as well.
- THE ALEXANDRA
Alexandra Road, St John,s Wood, NW8
Friday’s Derek Rees.
Wednesday’s Mr. Angel.
- THE BELL
Pentonville Road, N1. (Kings Cross)
Every Alt. Friday.
- THE BLACK CAP
171 Camden High Street, NW1. (Camden Town).
Drag Every Night.
Friday June 23. Sandy Graham.
Saturday June 24. Mark Fleming and guests.
Sunday June 25. (Lunch) Mark Fleming and Mrs. Shufflewick
(Night) The Dolly Sisters.
Monday June 26. Mark Fleming and Mrs. Shufflewick.
Tuesday June 27. Jean Fredericks (Disco) and Sandy Graham.
Wednesday June 28. Men of Mine.
Thursday June 29. Mark Fleming (starting his new competition.
Friday June 30. New Dumbells.
Saturday July 1. Mark Fleming with guests.
Sunday July 2. (Lunch) Mark Fleming and Mrs. Shufflewick.
(Night) Mickey Young.
- THE BUSH HOTEL
2 Goldhawk Road, W.12. (Goldhawk Road).
- THE COCK
125 Kilburn High Road, NW6. (Kilburn Park).
- THE CRICKETERS’
Battersea Park Road, SW11. (BR Battersea Park.) Wednesday Alt. Mark Fleming.
Sunday The Trollets.
- THE DORSET ARMS’
124 Clapham Road, SW4. (Oval)
Tuesday Michael and Bo.
Sunday Michael and Bo.
- THE DUKE OF FIFE
305 Katherine Road, E 7. (Upton Park).
Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Latin American Band. No Entrance Fee.
- ELEPHANT AND CASTLE
South Lambeth Place, SW8. (Vauxhall).
Every night except Tuesday.
Friday Mark Fleming.
- THE FATHER RED CAP
319 Camberwell Road, SE 5.
Drag in June.
Friday 23. Lee Paris.
Saturday 24. Sandy Graham.
Sunday 25. Lee Paris and Lettuce.
Monday 26. Lee Paris.
Wednesday 28. Ken Gibson.
Friday 30. Lee Paris and Lettuce.
Gay Disco’s Every Week. Resident DJ
Thursdays. Boys only.
Fridays. Girls only.
Sundays. Boys only.
- THE GREEN MAN
383 Euston Road, NW1.
(Great Portland Street).
Drag Every Night Downstairs. Supper
Licence to Midnight. Small Entrance Fee
Friday. Tony Page and Norman Cabel.
Regular Compere Shane with Keith Mills
and the Dumbells.
- OXFORD TAVERN
256 Kentish Town Road, NW5.
(Kentish Town). Drag on Tuesday and
- ROYAL OAK
62 Glenthorne Road, W6 (Hammersmith).
Drag every night except Tuesday.
- ROYAL VAUXHALL TAVERN
372 Kennington Lane, SE11. (Vauxhall).
Thursday (Alt.) Mr. Tammy or Lee Paris with Lettuce.
Friday. Mr. Tammy.
Saturday. Lee Paris.
Sunday (Lunch) Bo.
Sunday. (Night). Mr. Tammy.
Wednesday. Lee Paris.
New Act Starting Soon.
- UNION TAVERN
146 Camberwell Road, SE5.
(Oval). Drag on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.
- WINDSOR CASTLE
309 Harrow Road, W9. (Westbourne Park)
Drag on Wednesday and Sunday. (Lunch & Eve).
From the Observer……”Writing biographies of Edward Heath is becoming a cottage industry.”
And from somewhere a little nearer home……”Course, Teddy’s never had any trouble, ‘cept once, when he went with someone who wasn’t in the services.”
We also hear the Gay Liberation Front’s newspaper, ‘Come Together’, is now being referred to in certain rather structured gay circles as “Fall Apart.”
And while we’re in that corner of the world, may we express our condolences to the exalted gentleman who slipped his disc in a counselling session.
Finally, a sobering thought for all gay newshounds everywhere.
“Over and above everything else Jeremy was in love with himself: but he didn’t get on together.”
Or, as we were told the other night in the caff up the road………
“Toilet? It’s downstairs, it’s the ladies. We share everything here.”
Bye for now.
This corner is really a long list – of places, people you might like to know about or one day need. We can only, of course, publish information that comes to us. There’s a limit to what we can find out for ourselves, and too many pubs, clubs, movement offices and so on for us to visit. So – if there’s something we should know about, then you should ALL know about it. If your favourite pub or local gay group isn’t mentioned, write and tell us where it is and so forth. You can see from the listings themselves the sort of thing we think is of use and interest. These aren’t ads – we print all information free. This page is all yours!
Campaign for Homosexual Equality.
A present there are CHE groups in operation in the following areas:
- London: Central – Kensington, Highbury/Islington, Ealing/Acton, and Kilburn.
- Tunbridge Wells.
- Stoke on Trent.
- PROPOSED GROUPS:
- STUDENT GROUPS:
Many local group organisers are wary of having their names and addresses publicised so for the time being please contact all CHE groups via the national office:
28 KENNEDY STREET, MANCHESTER 2.
Telephone 061-228 1985.
National Gay Liberation Front Groups.
- Aberyswth GLF, c/o Polly Bluck, Room 80, Alexandra Hall Victoria Terrace, Aberyswth.
- Bath Gay Awareness Group, c/o Bob and Teresa, Monks Retreat, Monkton Combe, Somerset. Tel Limpley Stoke 2568.
- Bedfordshire GLF, (Bedford/Luton/Dunstable). Contact Nik Ferguson, ‘Northridge’, The Avenue, Ampthill, Beds. If in Bedford area. Pete Griffin, 27 Ashtree Road, Tythe Farm, Houghton Regis, Dunstable, Beds if in Luton or Dunstable.
- Birmingham GLF, 18 Moor Street, Ringway, Birmingham. Tel:021-643 0996. Meets Thursdays 7.30pm at Peace Centre at the above address.
- Brighton GLF, Flat 4, ‘Transmore’, London Road, Brighton. Tel:0273-509393
- Belfast. Belfast GLF, c/o M.A.Oulton, 10 Lower Crescent, University Road, Belfast.
- Bradford GLF, c/o Robert Harker, Bradford Regional College of Art, GT.Horton Road, Bradford 7. Tel: 32-777
- Canterbury Gay Lib Society, Patrick Forrest, Rutherford College, University of Canterbury, Kent.
- Chelmsford GLF, Contact Brian Barker, 55 St. Peter’s Avenue, Maldon, Essex. Tel: 0621-4274
- Cheltenham GLF, c/o Jim, North Gloucestershire Technical College Students Union, The Park, Cheltenham or Joe (Sister), 15 Rodney Road, Cheltenham.
- Essex University GLF, Contacts, Roger Shaw, Flat 1, Eddington Tower, University of Essex, Colchester, Telephone Colchester 5141 or Stephen Edwards, 93 Plumberoo Avenue, Hookly, Essex. Meets every second Tuesday at the University.
- Derby GLF, Contact Lawrence Brady, 63 Lexington Road, Chaddesden, Derby. Tel: 0332-674194 after 6.00pm.
- Edinburgh GLF, Contact Tony Hughes, 55 South Clark Street, Edinburgh 8. Tel: 031-667 3534. Meets Sundays 3pm.
- Durham GLF, Contactm Chris Barratt, 1 Beech Crest, Durham City, County Durham.
- Higham Ferrers GLF, Contact, Phil Taylor, 21 Kings Avenue, Higham Ferrers, Northants.
- Hull GLF, Contact, Keith Hose, Sexual Liberation Society, Hull University Union.
- Lancaster GLF, 35 West Road, Lancaster. Telephone Sue 0524-65201 Ex 4422.
- Keele Gay Lib Society, Contact, Gay Lib Society, Students Union, Keele University, Staffordshire.
- Leeds GLF, Liberation Office, 153 Wood-House Lane, Leeds 2. Tel: 0532-39071 Ex 57. Meets every Friday 7.30pm at O.S.A. Lounge, University Union, Ring Phil 0532-782270 for details.
- L.S.E. GLF meets every Thursday or Friday at 5.00pm in Room 5067. Contact: Student’s Union.
- Leicester GLF, Contact John Paye, 126 Nansen Road, Leicester.
- Manchester GLF, Contacts, Sheila Cohen, 43 Brantingham Road, Manchester 16. Tel: 061-226 3849. Or, Steve Lath, 32 Atwood Road, Didsbury, Manchester. Tel:061-445 5318
- Newcastle Upon Tyne GLF, Contact: Eric Wears, 302 Condercum Road, Benwell Grove, Newcastle Upon Tyne 4. Meets every Wednesday at the Liberal Hall, Westgate Road, Newcastle.
- Norwich GLF, Contact: Jenni Grace, Leister Nurses Home, Norfolk & Norwich Hospital, Norwich. Tel:0603-28377 Ex 232 evenings only. Ask for Norfolk and Norwich Ex 232. Additional number 0603-873596 (Tony). Weekly Meetings at Red Lion, Bishopsgate, Norwich on Wednesdays at 7.30pm.
- Oxford GLF, Contact Amit Pandys, 2 Marlborough Road, Oxford.
- Reading GLF, Contact: Martin Kaufman, Sibley Hall, Redhatch Drive, Reading, Berks.
- Sheffield GLF, Contact Ian Everton, 82 Harcourt Road, Sheffield. 10.
- Southend GLF, Contact: Stephen Edwards, 93 Plumberow Avenue, Hockley, Essex. Tel: 03704-5635
- Swansea GLF, Pigeon Hole G, Student Pigeon Holes, Union House, University College Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea.
London Gay Liberation Groups.
- Camden G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 7.30pm in the Forresters Hall, 5 Highgate Road, Kentish Town, London NW5. Tube/BR. Kentish Town, Buses 27, 134, 214.
- East London G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 8.00pm at Agitprop, 248 Bethnal Green Road, London E2. Tube/Br. Bethnal Green, Buses 8. Contact 739 1704
- Gaysoc University of London Students Union meets Fridays at 7.30pm at Malet Street, W1. Tube Warren Street/Euston Square.
- Kilburn G.L.F. meets on Sundays. Ring 837-7174 for details.
- Notting Hall G.L.F. meets on Thursdays at 7.30pm in All Saints Vestry, Clydesdale Road, London W11. Tube Westbourne Park/Notting Hill Gate. Buses 7, 15 or 52.
- South London G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 8.00pm in the Minet Library, Knatchbull Road, Brixton, SW9. Tube/BR Brixton. Buses 3, 95, 109, 133, 159 and 172.
- West London G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 8.00pm upstairs at the “White Lion” pub, Putney High Street, just south of Putney Bridge. Tube Putney Bridge, Buses 14, 22, 30, 85, 85A, 93, 220 and Green Line 718. BR Putney. Disco there every Wednesday.
- Harrow G.L.F. meets on Mondays. Ring Alex 422 7890 or Peter 864 1953.
- G.L.F. Youth and Education Group meets on Mondays. Phone 837 7174 for details.
- G.L.F. Day Group for shiftworkers. Meets Thursday afternoons. Ring 969 3173 for details.
- Gay Women’s Liberation Group. Contact Gillian 837 4502. Meets Wednesdays 7.30pm.
- G.L.F. Office is at 5 Caledonian Road, London N1. Tube Kings Cross. Tel: 01-837 7174. Further information concerning local G.L.F. groups available form here.