- GAY INTERNATIONAL NEWS.
An international forum from Gay Liberation Front. Price 5p. (8p by post). Monthly. Available direct from GLF (London), 5 Caledonian Road, London N.1. Tel: 01-837 7174
An independant magazine, edited by members of the Campaign for Homosexual Equality. Price 20p (25p in shops or by post). Monthly. Available direct from Lunch Magazine, 23 Avon Court, Keswick Road, London SW15 2JU.
- COME TOGETHER.
The mouth piece of Gay Liberation Front. Price 5p (8p by post). Out ever four to six weeks. Available direct from G.L.F. (London), 5 Calendonian Road, London N.1. Tel: 01-837 7174.
- SMG NEWS’.
Monthly newsletter from Scottish Minorities Group. Free, but send S.A.E. Available direct from S.M.G., 214 Clyde Street, Glasgow G1 4JZ
- ARENA THREE.
Published under licence from Esme Langley. A gay womens’ magazine. Price 25p. Monthly. Available direct from Majorie Bryanton, BCM/Sea Horse, London W.C.1. Tel: 01-734 5588
An independent gay womens’ magazine. 25p. Monthly. Available direct from Sappho, Publications Ltd., BCM/Petrel, London W.C.1.
This is a list of some of the pubs in London that regularly have Drag Acts. Information of out of London pubs featuring drag will be added to this list as we receive it. So if your local has something good happening at it, let us know; and that goes for you landlords as well.
- THE ALEXANDRA
Alexandra Road, St John,s Wood, NW8
Friday’s Derek Rees.
Wednesday’s Mr. Angel.
- THE BELL
Pentonville Road, N1. (Kings Cross)
Every Alt. Friday.
- THE BUSH HOTEL
2 Goldhawk Road, W.12. (Goldhawk Road).
- THE COCK
125 Kilburn High Road, NW6. (Kilburn Park).
- THE CRICKETERS’
Battersea Park Road, SW11. (BR Battersea Park.)
Sun. The Trollets.
Tues. Steel Band.
Wed. Various Artistes.
Thurs. Talent Night.
Fri. Various Artistes.
Sat. Singalong & Dancing.
- THE DORSET ARMS’
124 Clapham Road, SW4. (Oval)
Tuesday Michael and Bo.
Sunday Michael and Bo.
- THE DUKE OF FIFE
305 Katherine Road, E7. (Upton Park).
Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Latin American Band. No Entrance Fee.
- ELEPHANT AND CASTLE
South Lambeth Place, SW8. (Vauxhall).
Every night except Tuesday.
Friday Mark Fleming.
- THE FATHER RED CAP
319 Camberwell Road, SE 5.
Entertainment from Friday July 7th.
Fri. 7th Lee and Lettuce.
Sat. 8th Chris Kay.
Sun. 9th Lee Paris.
Mon. 10th Derek Rees.
Wed. 12th Sandy Graham.
Fri. 14th Lee and Lettuce.
Sat. 15th Michael and Bow.
Sun 16th Mad Hatters.
Mon. 17th Derek Rees.
Wed. 19th Chris Kay.
Fri. 21st Lee and Lettuce.
- THE GREEN MAN
383 Euston Road, NW1.
(Great Portland Street).
Drag Every Night Downstairs. Supper
Licence to Midnight. Small Entrance Fee
Friday. Tony Page and Norman Cabel.
Regular Compere Shane with Keith Mills
and the Dumbells.
- KINGS ARMS, Liverpool Street, London
(corner of Pinder Street)
Tube/BR Liverpool Street.
Dicks Inn, Gay Disco every Monday
Compere Tricky Dicky.
- THE ARABIAN, Cambridge Heath Road, London.
(Corner of Bishops Way)
Tube Bethnal Green/Bus 277
Dicks Inn, Gay Disco every Wednesday
Compere Tricky Dicky.
- Membership to the above two Disco’s is 50p a year
(m/ship interchangeable). Entrance 15p. Non-
- OXFORD TAVERN
256 Kentish Town Road, NW5.
Drag on Tues, Wed, and Thurs.
Resident host Perri St. Clair.
- THE BLACK CAP
171 Camden High Street NW1.
Drag Every Night.
Mon. 3 July. Mark Fleming.
Tues. 4th July. Jean Fredericks
(Disco) and Sandy Graham.
Wed. 5th July. Jacque Moray.
Thu. 6th July. Mark Fleming.
Fri. 7th July. New Dumbells.
Sat. 8th July. Mark Fleming Spectacular.
Sun. 9th July. (L) Mrs. Shufflewick.
(E) Men of Mime.
Mon. 10th July. Mark Fleming.
Tues. 11 July. Jean Fredericks
(Disco) and Sandy Graham.
Wed. 12th July. Mrs Shufflewick.
Thu. 13th July. New Dumbells
Fri. 14th July. Tony Munrow
- ROYAL OAK
62 Glenthorne Road, W6 (Hammersmith).
Drag every night except Tuesday.
- ROYAL VAUXHALL TAVERN
372 Kennington Lane, SE11. (Vauxhall).
Thursday (Alt.) Mr. Tammy or Lee Paris
Friday. Mr. Tammy.
Saturday. Lee Paris.
Sunday. (Lunch) Bo.
Sunday.(Night). Mr. Tammy.
Wednesday. Lee Paris.
New Act Starting Soon.
- UNION TAVERN
146 Camberwell Road, SE5.
(Oval). Drag on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.
- WINDSOR CASTLE
309 Harrow Road, W9. (Westbourne Park)
Drag on Wednesday and Sunday. (Lunch & Eve).
National (so far)
- Blackpool – Theatre Club, Tapping Street.
- Derby – Premier Hotel.
- Doncaster — Don Juan Club.
- Leeds – Great Northern Hotel.
- Manchester – the Union, Rembrant Hotel,
The Cheddar Cheese, Equestrian Pub.
Lady Harewood: “We’ve bought a house in St. John’s Wood, within half a mile of the one we had before. There he (Martin, her son) will have his own room. But he doesn’t like the idea. He likes the roof terrace at Primrose Hill and loves camping round the house. In the new house, we will have exactly the right amount of room”.
Tleephone call to R.C.A. Records, which was commendably to the point…………”Good afternoon, I’m speaking for a new newspaper called Gay News…………”
“Oh, you want a copy of the David Bowie album to review.”
Guess who’s writing another book………we believe it’s called “Everything you ever wanted to know about David Frost, but were afraid to ask.”
This corner is really a long list – of places, people you might like to know about or one day need. We can only, of course, publish information that comes to us. There’s a limit to what we can find out for ourselves, and too many pubs, clubs, movement offices and so on for us to visit. So – if there’s something we should know about, then you should ALL know about it. If your favourite pub or local gay group isn’t mentioned, write and tell us where it is and so forth. You can see from the listings themselves the sort of thing we think is of use and interest. These aren’t ads – we print all information free. This page is all yours!
Campaign for Homosexual Equality.
A present there are CHE groups in operation in the following areas:
- London: Central – Kensington, Highbury/Islington, Ealing/Acton, and Kilburn.
- Tunbridge Wells.
- Stoke on Trent.
- PROPOSED GROUPS:
- STUDENT GROUPS:
Many local group organisers are wary of having their names and addresses publicised so for the time being please contact all CHE groups via the national office:
28 KENNEDY STREET, MANCHESTER 2.
Telephone 061-228 1985.
National Gay Liberation Front Groups.
- Aberyswth GLF, c/o Polly Bluck, Room 80, Alexandra Hall Victoria Terrace, Aberyswth.
- Bath Gay Awareness Group, c/o Bob and Teresa, Monks Retreat, Monkton Combe, Somerset. Tel Limpley Stoke 2568.
- Bedfordshire GLF, (Bedford/Luton/Dunstable). Contact Nik Ferguson, ‘Northridge’, The Avenue, Ampthill, Beds. If in Bedford area. Pete Griffin, 27 Ashtree Road, Tythe Farm, Houghton Regis, Dunstable, Beds if in Luton or Dunstable.
- Birmingham GLF, 18 Moor Street, Ringway, Birmingham. Tel:021-643 0996. Meets Thursdays 7.30pm at Peace Centre at the above address.
- Brighton GLF, Flat 4, ‘Transmore’, London Road, Brighton. Tel:0273-509393
- Belfast. Belfast GLF, c/o M.A.Oulton, 10 Lower Crescent, University Road, Belfast.
- Bradford GLF, c/o Robert Harker, Bradford Regional College of Art, GT.Horton Road, Bradford 7. Tel: 32-777
- Bristol Gay Awareness Group, c/o Tony, 20D, West Mall, Clifton, Bristol. Tel: 0272-32669.
- Cambridge GLF, contact GLF (London) for information. 5 Caledonian Road, London N1. Tel: 01-837 7174
- Canterbury Gay Lib Society, Patrick Forrest, Rutherford College, University of Canterbury, Kent.
- Chelmsford GLF, Contact Brian Barker, 55 St. Peter’s Avenue, Maldon, Essex. Tel: 0621-4274
- Cheltenham GLF, c/o Jim, North Gloucestershire Technical College Students Union, The Park, Cheltenham or Joe (Sister), 15 Rodney Road, Cheltenham.
- Derby GLF, Contact Lawrence Brady, 63 Lexington Road, Chaddesden, Derby. Tel: 0332-674194 after 6.00pm.
- Durham GLF, Contact, Chris Barratt, I Beech Crest, Durham City, County Durham.
- Edinburgh GLF, Contact Linda Blyth, Top Flat, Right, 141 Dundee Street, Edinburgh 11. Meetings to be arranged, more information soon.
- Essex University GLF, Contacts, Roger Shaw, Flat 1, Eddington Tower, University of Essex, Colchester, Telephone Colchester 5141 or Stephen Edwards, 93 Plumberoo Avenue, Hookly, Essex. Meets every second Tuesday at the University.
- Higham Ferrers GLF, Contact, Phil Taylor, 21 Kings Avenue, Higham Ferrers, Northants.
- Hull GLF, Contact, Keith Hose, Sexual Liberation Society, Hull University Union.
- Lancaster GLF, 35 West Road, Lancaster. Telephone Sue 0524-65201 Ex 4422.
- Leeds GLF, Liberation Office, 153 Wood-House Lane, Leeds 2. Tel: 0532-39071 Ex 57. Meets every Friday 7.30pm at O.S.A. Lounge, University Union, Ring Phil 0532-782270 for details.
- Leicester GLF, Contact John Paye, 126 Nansen Road, Leicester.
- Keele Gay Lib Society, Contact, Gay Lib Society, Students Union, Keele University, Staffordshire.
- Manchester GLF, Contacts, Sheila Cohen, 43 Brantingham Road, Manchester 16. Tel: 061-226 3849. Or, Steve Lath, 32 Atwood Road, Didsbury, Manchester. Tel:061-445 5318
- Newcastle Upon Tyne GLF, Contact: Eric Wears, 302 Condercum Road, Benwell Grove, Newcastle Upon Tyne 4. Meets every Wednesday at the Liberal Hall, Westgate Road, Newcastle.
- Norwich GLF, Contact: Jenni Grace, Leister Nurses Home, Norfolk & Norwich Hospital, Norwich. Tel:0603-28377 Ex 232 evenings only. Ask for Norfolk and Norwich Ex 232. Additional number 0603-873596 (Tony). Weekly Meetings at Red Lion, Bishopsgate, Norwich on Wednesdays at 7.30pm.
- Oxford GLF, Contact Amit Pandys, 2 Marlborough Road, Oxford.
- Reading GLF, Contact: Martin Kaufman, Sibley Hall, Redhatch Drive, Reading, Berks.
- Sheffield GLF, Contact Ian Everton, 82 Harcourt Road, Sheffield. 10.
- Southend GLF, Contact: Stephen Edwards, 93 Plumberow Avenue, Hockley, Essex. Tel: 03704-5635
- Swansea GLF, Pigeon Hole G, Student Pigeon Holes, Union House, University College Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea.
London Gay Liberation Groups.
- Camden G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 7.30pm in the Forresters Hall, 5 Highgate Road, Kentish Town, London NW5. Tube/BR. Kentish Town, Buses 27, 134, 214.
- East London G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 8.00pm at Agitprop, 248 Bethnal Green Road, London E2. Tube/Br. Bethnal Green, Buses 8. Contact 739 1704
- Gaysoc University of London Students Union meets Fridays at 7.30pm at Malet Street, W1. Tube Warren Street/Euston Square.
- Kilburn G.L.F. meets on Sundays. Ring 837-7174 for details.
- L.S.E. GLF meets every Thursday or Friday at 5.00pm in Room 5067. Contact: Student’s Union.
- Notting Hall G.L.F. meets on Thursdays at 7.30pm in All Saints Vestry, Clydesdale Road, London W11. Tube Westbourne Park/Notting Hill Gate. Buses 7, 15 or 52.
- South London G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 8.00pm in the Minet Library, Knatchbull Road, Brixton, SW9. Tube/BR Brixton. Buses 3, 95, 109, 133, 159 and 172.
- South London GLF
JUMBLE SALE at the Crypt, St Matthews Church, Brixton on Saturday, July 15th at 2.00pm.
- West London G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 8.00pm upstairs at the “White Lion” pub, Putney High Street, just south of Putney Bridge. Tube Putney Bridge, Buses 14, 22, 30, 85, 85A, 93, 220 and Green Line 718. BR Putney. Disco there every Wednesday.
- G.L.F. Youth and Education Group meets on Mondays. Phone 837 7174 for details.
- Gay Women’s Liberation Group. Contact Gillian 837 4502. Meets Wednesdays 7.30pm.
- G.L.F. Office is at 5 Caledonian Road, London N1. Tube Kings Cross. Tel: 01-837 7174. Further information concerning local G.L.F. groups available form here.
- GAY UNITY, Harrow.
For details phone June at 863 1184 or
Alex at 422 7890. Meets on Mondays.