From the Observer……”Writing biographies of Edward Heath is becoming a cottage industry.”
And from somewhere a little nearer home……”Course, Teddy’s never had any trouble, ‘cept once, when he went with someone who wasn’t in the services.”
We also hear the Gay Liberation Front’s newspaper, ‘Come Together’, is now being referred to in certain rather structured gay circles as “Fall Apart.”
And while we’re in that corner of the world, may we express our condolences to the exalted gentleman who slipped his disc in a counselling session.
Finally, a sobering thought for all gay newshounds everywhere.
“Over and above everything else Jeremy was in love with himself: but he didn’t get on together.”
Or, as we were told the other night in the caff up the road………
“Toilet? It’s downstairs, it’s the ladies. We share everything here.”
Bye for now.
This corner is really a long list – of places, people you might like to know about or one day need. We can only, of course, publish information that comes to us. There’s a limit to what we can find out for ourselves, and too many pubs, clubs, movement offices and so on for us to visit. So – if there’s something we should know about, then you should ALL know about it. If your favourite pub or local gay group isn’t mentioned, write and tell us where it is and so forth. You can see from the listings themselves the sort of thing we think is of use and interest. These aren’t ads – we print all information free. This page is all yours!
Campaign for Homosexual Equality.
A present there are CHE groups in operation in the following areas:
- London: Central – Kensington, Highbury/Islington, Ealing/Acton, and Kilburn.
- Tunbridge Wells.
- Stoke on Trent.
- PROPOSED GROUPS:
- STUDENT GROUPS:
Many local group organisers are wary of having their names and addresses publicised so for the time being please contact all CHE groups via the national office:
28 KENNEDY STREET, MANCHESTER 2.
Telephone 061-228 1985.
National Gay Liberation Front Groups.
- Aberyswth GLF, c/o Polly Bluck, Room 80, Alexandra Hall Victoria Terrace, Aberyswth.
- Bath Gay Awareness Group, c/o Bob and Teresa, Monks Retreat, Monkton Combe, Somerset. Tel Limpley Stoke 2568.
- Bedfordshire GLF, (Bedford/Luton/Dunstable). Contact Nik Ferguson, ‘Northridge’, The Avenue, Ampthill, Beds. If in Bedford area. Pete Griffin, 27 Ashtree Road, Tythe Farm, Houghton Regis, Dunstable, Beds if in Luton or Dunstable.
- Birmingham GLF, 18 Moor Street, Ringway, Birmingham. Tel:021-643 0996. Meets Thursdays 7.30pm at Peace Centre at the above address.
- Brighton GLF, Flat 4, ‘Transmore’, London Road, Brighton. Tel:0273-509393
- Belfast. Belfast GLF, c/o M.A.Oulton, 10 Lower Crescent, University Road, Belfast.
- Bradford GLF, c/o Robert Harker, Bradford Regional College of Art, GT.Horton Road, Bradford 7. Tel: 32-777
- Canterbury Gay Lib Society, Patrick Forrest, Rutherford College, University of Canterbury, Kent.
- Chelmsford GLF, Contact Brian Barker, 55 St. Peter’s Avenue, Maldon, Essex. Tel: 0621-4274
- Cheltenham GLF, c/o Jim, North Gloucestershire Technical College Students Union, The Park, Cheltenham or Joe (Sister), 15 Rodney Road, Cheltenham.
- Essex University GLF, Contacts, Roger Shaw, Flat 1, Eddington Tower, University of Essex, Colchester, Telephone Colchester 5141 or Stephen Edwards, 93 Plumberoo Avenue, Hookly, Essex. Meets every second Tuesday at the University.
- Derby GLF, Contact Lawrence Brady, 63 Lexington Road, Chaddesden, Derby. Tel: 0332-674194 after 6.00pm.
- Edinburgh GLF, Contact Tony Hughes, 55 South Clark Street, Edinburgh 8. Tel: 031-667 3534. Meets Sundays 3pm.
- Durham GLF, Contactm Chris Barratt, 1 Beech Crest, Durham City, County Durham.
- Higham Ferrers GLF, Contact, Phil Taylor, 21 Kings Avenue, Higham Ferrers, Northants.
- Hull GLF, Contact, Keith Hose, Sexual Liberation Society, Hull University Union.
- Lancaster GLF, 35 West Road, Lancaster. Telephone Sue 0524-65201 Ex 4422.
- Keele Gay Lib Society, Contact, Gay Lib Society, Students Union, Keele University, Staffordshire.
- Leeds GLF, Liberation Office, 153 Wood-House Lane, Leeds 2. Tel: 0532-39071 Ex 57. Meets every Friday 7.30pm at O.S.A. Lounge, University Union, Ring Phil 0532-782270 for details.
- L.S.E. GLF meets every Thursday or Friday at 5.00pm in Room 5067. Contact: Student’s Union.
- Leicester GLF, Contact John Paye, 126 Nansen Road, Leicester.
- Manchester GLF, Contacts, Sheila Cohen, 43 Brantingham Road, Manchester 16. Tel: 061-226 3849. Or, Steve Lath, 32 Atwood Road, Didsbury, Manchester. Tel:061-445 5318
- Newcastle Upon Tyne GLF, Contact: Eric Wears, 302 Condercum Road, Benwell Grove, Newcastle Upon Tyne 4. Meets every Wednesday at the Liberal Hall, Westgate Road, Newcastle.
- Norwich GLF, Contact: Jenni Grace, Leister Nurses Home, Norfolk & Norwich Hospital, Norwich. Tel:0603-28377 Ex 232 evenings only. Ask for Norfolk and Norwich Ex 232. Additional number 0603-873596 (Tony). Weekly Meetings at Red Lion, Bishopsgate, Norwich on Wednesdays at 7.30pm.
- Oxford GLF, Contact Amit Pandys, 2 Marlborough Road, Oxford.
- Reading GLF, Contact: Martin Kaufman, Sibley Hall, Redhatch Drive, Reading, Berks.
- Sheffield GLF, Contact Ian Everton, 82 Harcourt Road, Sheffield. 10.
- Southend GLF, Contact: Stephen Edwards, 93 Plumberow Avenue, Hockley, Essex. Tel: 03704-5635
- Swansea GLF, Pigeon Hole G, Student Pigeon Holes, Union House, University College Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea.
London Gay Liberation Groups.
- Camden G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 7.30pm in the Forresters Hall, 5 Highgate Road, Kentish Town, London NW5. Tube/BR. Kentish Town, Buses 27, 134, 214.
- East London G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 8.00pm at Agitprop, 248 Bethnal Green Road, London E2. Tube/Br. Bethnal Green, Buses 8. Contact 739 1704
- Gaysoc University of London Students Union meets Fridays at 7.30pm at Malet Street, W1. Tube Warren Street/Euston Square.
- Kilburn G.L.F. meets on Sundays. Ring 837-7174 for details.
- Notting Hall G.L.F. meets on Thursdays at 7.30pm in All Saints Vestry, Clydesdale Road, London W11. Tube Westbourne Park/Notting Hill Gate. Buses 7, 15 or 52.
- South London G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 8.00pm in the Minet Library, Knatchbull Road, Brixton, SW9. Tube/BR Brixton. Buses 3, 95, 109, 133, 159 and 172.
- West London G.L.F. meets every Thursday at 8.00pm upstairs at the “White Lion” pub, Putney High Street, just south of Putney Bridge. Tube Putney Bridge, Buses 14, 22, 30, 85, 85A, 93, 220 and Green Line 718. BR Putney. Disco there every Wednesday.
- Harrow G.L.F. meets on Mondays. Ring Alex 422 7890 or Peter 864 1953.
- G.L.F. Youth and Education Group meets on Mondays. Phone 837 7174 for details.
- G.L.F. Day Group for shiftworkers. Meets Thursday afternoons. Ring 969 3173 for details.
- Gay Women’s Liberation Group. Contact Gillian 837 4502. Meets Wednesdays 7.30pm.
- G.L.F. Office is at 5 Caledonian Road, London N1. Tube Kings Cross. Tel: 01-837 7174. Further information concerning local G.L.F. groups available form here.